Saturday, December 29, 2012

Portuguese Kale Soup (a recipe)





Portuguese Kale Soup

3 garlic cloves (minced)
1 large yellow onion
4 large carrots
3 large potatoes
1/2 lb kidney beans or black beans (soaked overnight)
1/2 to 1 lb sausage (I use Applegates Chicken & Apple Sausage)
1 large bunch of kale
Hot Paprika
Salt & pepper
Olive Oil

Add oil to a large soup pot and saute onion and garlic.  When onion is translucent add chopped carrots and potatoes, beans and sausage. Add 2 tbs of paprika and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer 1 hour.  Add extra water if needed. Chop the kale and add to soup then simmer an extra 1/2 hour.  Add S&P to taste.  Sometimes I add a soup bouillon as well . 

My sister shared this recipe with me years ago, 
and boy in the winter I really start craving this soup!
I thought I would share it, in case you'd like to try it one day.

Do you have any favorite soup recipes? :)


2 comments:

  1. Wow I like the looks of that soup! I'm crazy about collard greens so that kale stuff is right up my alley. Thanks! I find myself making split pea soup in the winter. I find myself making split pea soup all year round! That's Alli ever make! Oh, I'll throw in some lentils now and then. But, my husband could eat that everyday of his life. Funny, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I love lentil soups and stews! Will have to make that my next soup. :)

    ReplyDelete