Saturday, February 2, 2013

the bud, the flower and the seed

magnolia tree
The bud
stands for all things,
 even for those things that don't flower,
for everything flowers, from within, of self-blessing;
though sometimes it is necessary
to reteach a thing its loveliness,
to put a hand on its brow
of the flower
and retell it in words and in touch
it is lovely
until it flowers again from within, of self-blessing...
(Galway Kinnell from the poem Saint Francis and the Sow in Three Books)

I had another tree commission - my choice.
I made them a Magnolia.  Now I have another
Redbud order to fill. Probably my favorite to make.

I'm also working with encaustic lately, my high-maintenance media. :)
I spent around $200 in supplies last month.  The trees
are paying for the wax art supplies. ha!
I know, I know.... I need to write about encaustic art.
It's coming soon, I promise.  

Here is an image of something I made today...  
"the flower and the seed," encaustic collage, 3" x5"
I cut a portion of a Christmas card and mounted it to a walnut panel, 
then applied a few layers of encaustic medium and added the flower 
(I like how it mimics Mary's dress.)  Also included dandelion seeds 
collected last year and applied another layer of beeswax. My 
image and flowers are perfectly preserved. :) 

How is your weekend going?  I hope it's lovely...




4 comments:

  1. What a precious tree along with a sweet poem. The flower and seed collage looks a little like stained glass! Gorgeous, San!
    So, you use Beeswax? Wow. I love Bees and wax and honey! Good 'ol Bees. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday Lynn! It's a mix of beeswax and damar resin (sap from fir trees). I love all things bees also. :) Hey did you get my e-mail? If not then I don't have your correct address. Please e -mail me... :)

      Delete
  2. I got your mail on Friday! Thank you so much! What a lovely surprise! Do you also collect postal stamps?
    The magnolia tree is awesome! Oh yes, buying art supplies...it is so easy to spend so much money on it and soo so hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia! Great- glad you got it. I wasn't sure if I guessed correctly on the postage. And yes, I collect stamps. I've loved them ever since I was little.
      Supplies... no artist can resist them. :)

      Delete