Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Date With Bernini in Texas!

Bernini Sculpting in Clay Exhibit at the Kimbell Art Museum, Ft. Worth/Tx
Michelangelo's first painting at age 13!
Greg looking at Caravaggio's "The Cardsharps"
Velasquez and Goya's men.
I love Caspar David Friedrich!


 I found out about the Bernini exhibit in Texas only a few days
before the closing of the show.  We had to get down there
this weekend! Oh my, it was fantastic.  I don't have any 
pictures (not allowed), since this was the exhibit with works on loan
from around the world.  We saw 40 modello pieces in clay
and 30 sketches on paper. These were the concepts for the
bigger than life-sized marble statues and more which (many of them)
we saw in Rome not too long ago.  I sketched portions of the fountain,
Bernini's 'River Gods,' at Navona Piazza.  We also saw his work in
St. Peter's Basillica, and we crossed the Tiber River by way of
Ponte Sant' Angelo (the bridge flanked by Bernini's ten angels).
  The exhibit at the Kimbell Art Museum in Ft. Worth was dear to my heart.
I learned so much more about Bernini, the great 17th century sculptor!     

 

We ate the best fajitas and saw a little of the Ft. Worth Stockyard District.
Oh, and the highways in Texas were pink!  They've had better weather 
than us, so pink primroses were blooming everywhere,,, 
along with bluebonnets and other beautiful wildflowers.   

2 comments:

  1. I like the walls you show above, constructed for just one painting, allowing complete focus on one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys sure do get around! Looks like a fun trip.
    Sculpture fascinates me. Glad you got to be there in the nick of time.
    Art and yummy Mexican. :)

    ReplyDelete