Wednesday, May 1, 2013

"Our Backyard Wildflowers" Exhibit

"Our Backyard Wildflowers"

(Southwest Oklahoma Wildflowers)

When my husband and I moved to Medicine Park over

a year ago we were greeted by a myriad of wildflowers!

Flowers of every color, shape and size popped up on the

surrounding prairie hills, trails and ditches.  I was thrilled

to ‘find’ new blooms every month.  I found them ‘right

outside my back door’ or on my hikes at the

Wildlife Refuge (my neighbor to the left).


This watercolor collection is my way of documenting

and learning the names of each flower, so that when

I meet them again on my walks I can greet them each

by name.  I’m continually adding to my collection!


Please join a Wildflower Tour with the Friends of the

Wichitas during the month of May.  Come see all the

beautiful flowers that grow in our southwest Oklahoma.

“None can have a healthy love for flowers 
unless he loves the wild ones.”  –F. Watson

Sandra Dunn graduated with a BA in Art from 
Cameron University in 2005.  She has exhibited in solo shows
in Oklahoma and in various group exhibitions around the
USA to include “best of selections” for the Moscone Center
in San Francisco, the Chicago Cultural Center, and the
Mims Gallery in NC. Upcoming shows include the
Medicine Park Art Walk in September 2013 and
an encaustic exhibit at the Leslie Powell Gallery/
Lawton in January 2014.

The fruit of my labor....

They're displayed around the entire room.
Celebration time!

 I spent 6 hours hanging my art at the refuge visitor center today. 
I'm exhausted. The days leading up to this, I had several more
flowers to paint and a statement frame to prepare and lots of
other little things to handle.  Greg & celebrated with the best
burgers, cobbler and beer at the local Meers Restaurant!  
The wind is howling like a furious warrior tonight and I'm
 dropping into bed - my brain and body need a good rest.   

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on a beautiful exhibit!
    I love how you put the pics in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so exciting!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest up little watercolor wren!!
    Man! That exhibit is something else. Those cards go all the way around!?!?!?! I know you've been painting these for awhile now but I had no idea the amount of wildflowers there are in your lovely area.
    After the grueling set up, I'm glad you had a proper celebration!
    I wish I could attend your show. Congrats, baby!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm sure the exhibition is beautiful! Have a good rest. I've so enjoyed seeing the photographs and your paintings of the beautiful place you live :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. and PS what an astonishing amount of little pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you dear friends. I hope to get better pictures the next time I stop into the visitor center.

    ReplyDelete