Thursday, September 19, 2013

power to tread on serpents and scorpions

"Behold, I have given you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, 
and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you." 
Luke 10:19

This post is not for the faint of heart.....
and these are not my usual pretty nature photos,
but I have to share what happened, because it's a miraculous story....

In the scorpion/spider trap today.
That's nothing compared to Sunday night though....

 Greg grabbed the gun and I grabbed the camera,,,   This poisonous rattlesnake was preying in our yard!

I was sitting on a blanket in the grass last Sunday evening enjoying the 'Indian Summer' season 
and the lovely sounds....  As it got shadowy though, I was startled by an animal charging through
 the empty lot on our left. I ran into the house with Zody who was in my lap, because I didn't know
 if it was (worst case scenario) a mountain lion.... Curious, I went back out to see if I could figure out
 what was in the back yard (yes, dumb). I heard movement and the snort of a deer. Then suddenly something slithered by my feet and I screamed and ran back in the house again. My brain/eyes had recognized the pattern of a rattlesnake. A big rattler! I called for Greg and he got the gun and shot it twice.  Here are my thoughts..... My guard (common sense) is back up 100%. 
The snakes are very active right now storing for their upcoming cold-weather hibernation. 
I was stupid for sitting in the grass in the dark! But God sent my 'protective/symbolic' animal,
 the deer, to 'warn' me and to cause me to get off the grass.  My back was turned.
Maybe that snake was coming toward me and Zody?! 

Even though I was within inches or centimeters of the snake, it didn't rattle or strike,,,
 it moved in the opposite direction of my feet. God's protection was with me once again. 
 Do I need to be careful though? Yes, always. 
 I thank God for protecting me.  And I thank God sending the deer. 
He knew I would understand. 

7 comments:

  1. Yikes!!! Glad you and Zody are SAFE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danger on the prairie....
      of
      Valerianna - I picked some fresh sage this evening and am preparing some bundles for you. It was especially aromatic - recent rains and a couple of cool days....and it's so beautiful and smells divine.

      Delete
  2. Happy everything came to a happy end for you.
    Will you get something made out of the skin of the snake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I called the snake handler neighbor and offered him the skin. But he didn't want it. However, he cut the rattle off for me. He threw the snake back in the wooded area! Maybe in the bare winter I will come across the skeleton?!
      Also, in hindsight, I wish I had saved some of the skin, because now I want to make a small rattlesnake-skin medicine pouch. The neighbor will get me some though.

      Delete
  3. That rattler snake looked big. How scary. I'm shivering in my shoes, here.
    I'm so happy for your spirit deer!! What perfect animal to have as your totem.
    I always wish mine could be a deer, but alas, it is the Owl. :)
    So, is Greg's aim with a gun good? Just thinking about the whole scenario freaks me out.
    I'm sorry we have to kill animals that slither around in our yards that could potentially harm us. Fatally.
    You all stay cozy and use caution up there on prairie hill!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I bet you have some good owl stories? I'm not sure how it all works, but the deer, elk, ram - all those are included in my special animal. :)

      Greg's aim was good. Sorry, it had to be done - but just couldn't have it in our territory above ya know?!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I know! I asked C, if there was a rattler hanging out in our yard, would he kill it? Yes. With a shovel. Cuz we don't own a gun. ;)
    The owl plays a major role in my life. They won't leave me alone! Haha. I'm ok with that!

    ReplyDelete