Sunday, February 23, 2014

ART: Relic I

'Relic I,'  Encaustic Collage on Panel
 1.5" x 1.5"
Another stamp-size encaustic collage inspired by 
the artwork I saw in Italy last year.  I was mesmerized by the 
actual coral which was included in medieval reliquaries 
and which also appeared in Madonna and Child scenes.
 I learned that coral was used as a 'charm against evil' 
and that a small coral branch was often hung on a 
child's cradle or around a child's neck for protection. 

So,,, I took apart a family heirloom - 
my mom gave me her coral necklace thirty years ago 
and now one of the branches is suspended in this 
symbolic encaustic relic.
Claudia sent me stamps from Austria some time back,
and I cut Mary & the babe from one of them with 
small surgical scissors.  I often feel like I'm operating 
on my pieces.  I use stick pins and small tweezers too. ha!  

On the miniature hutch.
The hutch compared to books.
I think the tiny hutch is becoming a tiny shrine. :)

A blessed week to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that coral was used as charm... because of its sea origins? Love the little hutch shrine.

    ReplyDelete