Sunday, November 23, 2014

ART: Rose in Gold

"Rose in Gold," Tintype Photo w/Encaustic 

This is my first Civil War Tintype photo under encaustic.
I also finally used the gold encaustic block that 
I bought almost 9 months ago in Santa Fe!  

The tintype is already dark, and with a layer or two 
of wax it becomes even more obscure... maybe that's
why I like it...?  I wonder whose sweetheart she was?
I bought her off of Etsy and named her Rose.  Had Greg
 cut a wood panel in the exact shape of the picture.  
She is going into the May exhibit along with many other
portraits/landscapes spanning two centuries.  The wax is 
curing over Rose and many of the others, but these antique 
photos are going to have their shining moment again
in a few months.   

I was thinking today that making art is like giving birth!
You have conceive and push,,, work and labor to create
and name something out of nothing.

2 comments:

  1. This wonderful portrait of "Rose" is so beautiful. I am just enchanted by this process of covering old photos with encaustic. It is such a beautiful effect. I also like your thoughts on making art....so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose...she was somebody's everything.
    Love her.
    That SF gold block. Truly special in itself!!

    ReplyDelete