Thursday, April 23, 2015

In praise of a flower...

How would I describe this flower?
Round. Giving. About to exit its prime.
Beautiful. Nourishing. 
White. Green.
One, yet many.
Magical.
Complex.
Worthy.

~ ~    ~    ~ ~

I recently came across this paragraph in a book and it hit me like a ton of bricks:

The essence of nature is not understood through thought. 
Truly appreciating nature does not come through the amount of information
 or  names you attach to different flowers, birds or animals.   
You are not going into nature to exercise your mind. 
 Instead, go into nature to give your mind a rest.   
Who cares about the name of the tree or the bird? 
 Instead, just look at the tree or bird without thought and sense
 its aliveness.  This is far more important than knowing a mere label.

- Patrick McKeown (The Buteyko Breathing Method and Mindfulness) 

I'm familiar with many of the common names of the wildflowers in my region.
As I walk Prairie Hill, I find myself labeling, labeling,,,, though I definitely appreciate 
every flower.  But I have to question myself, am I losing a sense of child-like wonder....?

So last night, I allowed myself to just enjoy the flowers, grasses 
and birds for being with me.  I'm becoming mindful of the harmony and grace 
 of living together in the sun and swaying in the wind. 

5 comments:

  1. that's one super-duper ball of flower..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? So it grew in my yard and I ate the bulb (the whole plains garlic is edible).
      And that is the rest of the story. :)

      Delete
  2. ...and here I am MAKING IT A POINT to learn all the names of birds and flowers.....!
    It's all good, prairie sister. All good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now we don't need to stress about learning all the names anymore. lol

      Delete
  3. Yes just enjoy the beauty around, and live the moment x

    ReplyDelete