Thursday, September 3, 2015

Mignardises - An Encaustic Confection

La Plume a Pois




“Mignardises”

An Encaustic Confection!


Mignardises are bite-size desserts similar to petit fours.   

 Derived from the old French word, “Mignard” which means

either a small child, or graceful, pretty and delicate.



I create in the ancient wax-based Encaustic medium. 
 It’s the earliest form of paint - predating oil, fresco and tempera. 
 It was first used by the Greeks over 2,000 years ago.  The word encaustic 
 originates from the Greek word enkaustikos which means ‘to burn in’. 
 Encaustic medium is a combination of beeswax, crystallized tree resin and
 pigment.  I create my images by brushing layers of this molten wax on to 
wooden panels and fusing each layer with a heat gun.  

I enjoy working with Encaustic because the possibilities are endless 
and the wax itself is enormously sensual. The transparent and adhesive 
qualities of clear beeswax are ideal for creating my playful collages. 
  The bright and luminous quality of pigmented beeswax make the 
smallest pieces appear as delicious candies or Mignardises.



Exhibit opens September 11th at 7:00 pm

along with the opening of the musical, 

You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown

Lawton Community Theatre

1316 NW Bell



September 11 – 20, 2015


I'm very excited about my upcoming exhibit at the Lawton Community Theatre.  
Greg (musical directing) is still in rehearsal and I'm still finalizing my art pieces, 
but it's countdown time to the double feature! 


5 comments:

  1. Yay! Great news! I am sure you are super excited! I would be at least! All the best for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claudia. I'm very excited. :)

      Delete
  2. i feel your entire body of work is rather sensual....meaning, the touch, the texture, the appearance, *all* appeal to the senses....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - encaustic even smells like honeybee perfume! :)

      Delete
  3. It's going to be really big shoe! ...as Larry Welk would say. Ha!
    Love it so much when you & G collaborate! This one's going to be so much fun.
    Your encaustics are the best. My favorite of all your creations.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete